[MS4W-Users] slow access to PostGIS layer

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 10:42:14 EST 2012

2012/6/28 Smith, Michael ERDC-RDE-CRREL-NH <Michael.Smith at erdc.dren.mil>

>  The biggest impact will be the total amount of data involved. The number
> of vertices you reported earlier seemed quite large for most scales. I'd
> consider doing some generalization for higher zoom levels.

I think I will do that. I didn't notice such an impact within our Linux
environments.
The timing is closely related to the number of vertices:

1 polygon (836 vertices):
0.108s
16 polygons (836 vertices each):
0.404s

1 polygon (19594 vertices):
0.627s
16 polygons (19594 vertices each)
7.672s
Delta time between msPostGISLayerNextShape 0.45s

As you can see, the delta is similar to calling the 16 smaller poligons,
which sum to 13376 vertices.

giovanni