[MS4W-Users] "Dropping support of Windows XP"

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 11:35:30 EST 2012

Bummer. I just "upgraded" my Windows 7 machine back to XP.

I've used Windows 7 for a year and a half and have not found anything that
it does better than XP and several things that it does worse. A couple
shortcomings that I've run into with Win7 that may be of interest to this
list:
* QGIS seems a lot more stable on XP than Win7
* Larger file copies (>2GB) are much slower
* Image file operations (copy, rename, delete) are intolerably slow on
larger files, I think because Win7 is trying to index them in some way.

Rich

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 7:00 AM, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I noticed a recent news item from the PHP community that PHP support for
> Windows XP has been stopped (see thread at
> http://marc.info/?t=135309020900001&r=1&w=2).  This obviously affects
> MS4W future releases, so please take note.
>
> Of course, if you need a Windows XP build of MS4W you can always contact
> me directly for rates.
>
> Thank you,
>
> -jeff
>

> --
> Jeff McKenna
> MapServer Consulting and Training Services
> http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

Richard Greenwood
richard.greenwood at gmail.com
www.greenwoodmap.com