[MS4W-Users] MS4W (MapServer 4 Windows) - version 3.0.3 Crashes JVM and Tomcat frequently. How to fix this?

shiva.sk4 kshivashankar at pixelsoftek.com
Sun Nov 24 11:02:27 EST 2013

Hello Everybody,

Is the MapServer MS4W Java API thread safe? Will making the method
declarations in *edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapscriptJNI* or
*edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapObj* classes as *synchronized* effect the API
adversely? I did try marking all the method declarations as *synchronized*
in the *edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapObj* class and few methods such as
mapObj_draw(..), mapObj_drawQuery(..),
mapObj_drawLegend(..),mapObj_drawScalebar(..) and
mapObj_drawReferenceMap(...) in *edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapscriptJNI* class.
This helped reduce the tomcat crashing issue. Is there any particular way to
create the mapObj and using it? I have a common mapObj with all its
properties like mapHeight,mapWidth,bounding box coords shared by different
mapping functionality methods such as zoom-in,zoom-out,pan,fullExtent,etc.

Can anybody suggest me about the best way (*thread-safe*) to create and use
the mapObj in MapServer Java Mapscript API?

Regards,
Shiva