[OSRS-PROJ] PROJ4 and datums

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Mon Apr 3 11:40:48 EDT 2000

Hi all,

concerning the datum problem and PROJ4 I have
a question (as PROJ4 is included in GRASS 5):

Say, I have a map in UTM/WGS84. Using the
map projection modules of GRASS (r.proj/v.proj)
I can project the map to the German
"Gauss-Krueger-System" (Transverse Mercator,
Bessel Ellipsoid).

But what about datum conversion? Gauss-Krueger
is based on Potsdam-Datum (near Berlin).

BTW: Interesting page about nearly all European
map systems (by Stefan A. Vosser):
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1224/mapref.html

especially: "Map Projections" there.

I am not familiar with this datum stuff, any
hints to clear the situation are welcome.
>From former comments I learned that PROJ4 does
not support datum conversion, but maybe nad2nad
to be extended to support conversions outside U.S.?
Please excuse if this is a stupid questions...

Kind regards

 Markus Neteler