[OSRS-PROJ] PROJ4 and datums

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Mon Apr 3 12:46:33 EDT 2000

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 11:33:45AM -0400, Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
> Except for the North American Datum (NAD), PROJ does
> not support datum conversions.  PROJ is system for
> cartographic projections only.  *nad2nad* was included
> in the PROJ distribution as an example of how to use
> the PROJ lib.
>
> Jerry Evenden and the low riders: Katie and Daisy-Mae
> gevenden at capecod.net  http://www.capecod.net/~gevenden

Yes, I understand. But my question was more related to
following, more general, point:

Do I need datum conversion if reprojecting a map
from UTM/WGS84 to Transverse Mercator/Bessel?
The German system is based on Potsdam-Datum, the
UTM datum I don't know.

As nad2nad is existing, the datum conversion seems
to be important.

Kind regards

 Markus Neteler