[OSRS-PROJ] gauss-krueger/transverse mercator

Gerald I. Evenden gevenden at capecod.net
Tue Jun 13 09:45:53 EDT 2000

What is interesting here is that PROJ.4 has a units conversion facility.

A second comment is the ellipsoid naming.  PROJ has an easily maintainable
table for ellipsoids.  Since there was freedom for the other mods, why
wasn't updating the table done?  However, for some applications, I agree
with the basic a=, e2=, etc. method.  Also, units conversion can also be
achieved by merely controlling the units of a= (and b= and any other
parameter like x_0, y_0).

As a final note, rather than changing PROJ.4 it seems easier to change the
application software that uses the PROJ.4 library and leave the program
unchanged and irrelevant to the project.  Program *proj* is more of an
example of how to use the system and a useful filter but not a totally
universal tool.  The library is the important *universal* tool.

The confusing issue here is that there are now two "proj" programs.

Jerry Evenden and the Low Riders, Katie and  Daisy May
gevenden at capecod.net  http://www.capecod.net/~gevenden