[OSRS-PROJ] Interface ideas for Proj4

Martin Manningham martinm at six.net
Wed Mar 29 19:03:30 EST 2000

"Gerald I. Evenden" wrote:

> Sorry, I'm jumping into an ongoing discussion so I may be
> a little out of context but I felt I needed to add some
> material.  See below.
>
> Jerry Evenden and the low riders: Katie and Daisy-Mae
> gevenden at capecod.net  http://www.capecod.net/~gevenden

This is quite interesting to read this kind of view of what must be projection transformation. And I think
you got a point about the mixing of projection change and datum handling in this library.

The main problem with datum is many organisations want so much precision in the coordinates handling they
even consider the continental shift in the calculations of a map. Many people in the discussion are
handling both domains (datums and projections) and some of them think there should be a way to merge these
two concepts. I don't pretend to have the perfect solution to that problem, but of what I heard in that
discussion is these concepts must be fused outside PROJ.4 (if they had to be fused), maybe in C++ but
certainly with a more global vision of the differents interests involved.

But your concerns are more than important and serious thinking must be done before going too far in the
idea. And you are right about the "brouhaha", a lot of different conceptions of how the library from many
differents kind of users in differents kind of fields using this library are discussing here. And also my
english is far from perfect, I have to apologise about that.

Regards

Martin Manningham