[OSRS-PROJ] geod API?

Gerald I. Evenden gevenden at capecod.net
Tue May 2 18:36:51 EDT 2000

I have to admit that when I put *geod* into PROJ.4 it was kind of a
throwaway
item.  Lot'sa people wanted geodesic distances to I included it.  The
algorithm
used is not very good but good to a cm or two at most large distances.
Also,
the algorithm is a horror mathematically.

I recommend the geodesic procedure available from the Nat'l Geodetic Survey
as I believe it to be more accurate and certainly cleaner mathematically
(although it is recursive).  They have a FORTRAN version which very cleanly
converts to C with f2c.
Jerry Evenden and the Low Riders, Katie and  Daisy May
gevenden at capecod.net  http://www.capecod.net/~gevenden