[OSRS-PROJ] UTM and Proj

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jun 19 22:23:17 EDT 2001

Paul Selormey wrote:

> Hello All,
> >From the documentation, I could only find the support of longitude-latitude
> as
> the input for a projection. Now, since many formats like shapefiles are in
> UTM
> what is the best way to convert a shapefile or similar UTM-based files fast
> on
> the fly?

Paul,

The "proj" program can translate from lat/long to projection coordinates
or from projection coordinates to lat/long.  To get projection coordinates
to lat/long use the -I (inverse) commandline switch.

The cs2cs program can go from any supported coordinate system to any
other supported coordinate system.

Reprojecting Shapefiles requires additional software to read and write
the shapefiles, and call the appropriate proj functions.  It turns out there
is a "shpproj" program distributed with my Shapelib (in the contrib directory)
built on PROJ.4.  With that program you can reproject shapefiles fairly
easily .... at least I assume so, I haven't used it myself.

 See http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/shapelib

Good luck,