[OSRS-PROJ] commercial apps

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Tue Sep 18 22:30:57 EDT 2001

What is GeoTrans?  The only one I know about is the "Geographic Translator"
that is part of the Department of Defense Joint Mapping Tool Kit (JMTK).
That is "For Official Use Only,"  and certainly is NOT available for
commercial development outside of DoD channels.  Is there another package
around that is using that acronym ?

In regard to ALL the commercial applications as well as the "Public Domain"
applications, only the POSC "EPSG" system/documentation comes close to what
is truly useful in foreign countries outside of Canada/USA/Mexico stuff.
Everything else is for thematic/small-scale stuff.  Large-scale stuff used
for 1:50,000, 1:25,000 and larger (1:1,000) is generally too exacting for
the Public Domain concoctions.  The EPSG is intended to be accurate to
better than a meter, if memory serves me correctly.  Good enough for
looking for oil, but NOT good enough to locate property corners in an urban
environment.

If you're doing thematic/regional stuff, the Public Domain software as well
as the commercial "canned" software is adequate.  If you're locating
telephone/power poles, fire hydrants, water valves, etc. the commercial
stuff is useless outside of the U.S.  If you are doing property corners,
cadastral applications, land titlization work; the canned stuff is a
guaranteed disaster because there is no acknowledgement for specific
projection formulae variations for each different country.  The errors in
coordinate transformations for those applications can be maddening if you
don't know what you're doing ...

Which is good for what depends on your intended application.

One size does NOT fit all.  For geodetic applications, it's like dancing in
a snakepit.

Clifford J. Mugnier (cjmce at LSU.edu)
Chief of Geodesy
CENTER FOR GEOINFORMATICS
Department of Civil Engineering
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
Baton Rouge, LA  70803
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-8536

http://www.ASPRS.org/resources.html

Hello Frank,
Can you or anyone give us more comparison between GeoTrans and Proj4?

I alsofound GeoTrans easier, but with no support like for Proj4, I decided
on Proj4.

Best regards,
Paul.