[OSRS-PROJ] nad2nad command syntax

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 8 11:19:09 EDT 2002

** Reply to message from Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> on Mon, 08 Apr 2002 09:42:44 -0400

> Jack Bowling wrote:
> > I have installed the linux Intel binary rpms from the Proj homepage.
> > Everything installed well on my redhat 7.2 box. However, when I try
> > to perform some UTM conersions as per the man page, this is what I
> > get:
> >
> > # nad2nad -i,83,UTM=10,-o,27,UTM=10 -
> > Rel. 4.4.0, 21 March 2000
> > <nad2nad>:
> > invalid selection
> > program abnormally terminated
> >
> > As far as I can tell from the man page and reading the mailing list
> > archives, the syntax is correct. Could the problem be that the data
> > for the part of Canada that I am attempting to convert is not
> > compiled into the binary version?
>
> Jack,
>
> It looks like the nad2nad argument parsing is case sensitive, so you should
> be doing:
>

> % nad2nad -i,83,utm=10,-o,27,utm=10 -
>
> BTW, a similar effect can be had from the cs2cs command.
>
> % cs2cs +proj=utm +zone=10 +datum=NAD83 +to +proj=utm +zone=10 +datum=NAD27

Thanks, Frank, but the nad2nad still won't work for me. This is what *did* work, though:

[root at nonesuch nad]# cs2cs +proj=utm +zone=10 +datum=NAD83 +to +proj=utm +zone=10 +datum=NAD27 -r <<EOF
> 5945035 502567
> EOF
502665.79	5944824.42 0.000

Looks like it wants Easting first :-))  I'll keep plugging away at the mysteries of nad2nad.

cheers,
Jack

--
Jack Bowling