[OSRS-PROJ] cs2cs and datum shift]

Roberto Vidmar rvidmar at ogs.trieste.it
Mon Aug 26 10:28:58 EDT 2002

Frank,

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

...snip

> Overall, I don't know why you can't get the correct output value, but I
> imagine it is because a different mechanism is being used by IGM to
> express
> the 7 parameters than PROJ.4 is expecting.  PROJ.4's 7 parameter datum
> shift
> code is based on NIMA Geotrans, and apparently matches the 7 parameter
> parameters
> as expected for method 9606 in the EPSG database.  However, there are
> many other
> ways of expressing the transformation.

This is not a problem. Basically having translation, rotation and scale
means trying only 8 different parameter sets. The problem is that I
cannot convert back again to the starting point, even using a 3
parameter transformation.

At present I'm playing with the source code (so I must go deep inside
the problem, deeper than I supposed and wanted to do...). I'm trying to
understand if the problem is in the to/from WGS84 functions or in the
geodetic/geocentric one.

Trying a wgs84 to ellps=intl with +towgs84=0,0,0 and back again restores
latitude and longitude with a small error in height (1 cm) so I suppose
the trick is hidden in the WGS84 functions...

...snip

> Good luck,

Thanks for your help.

Roberto