[OSRS-PROJ] prime meridians

Gerald Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Mon Dec 9 15:14:38 EST 2002

First, and I think a very important point, PROJ does not know of the
existance of a "Prime Meridian."  Input longitude is always relative to
a user define origin and may be offset with the built in "lon_0" option.
I do not see where specifying a prime meridian is anything more than
redefining lon_0.

Secondly, the  u-v results of the library entries are relative to the user's
definition of the geographic origin.  Similarly, the users defines the units
of the cartesian data by his definition of the geodetic radii.  There is
conversion of x-y for cases where the geodetic units are in meters and
the user wants x-y in some other metric.

As for radian input, that applies to the library calls that emulate other
math function calls that employ radian input (ie. sin, cos, tan, ...).  Program
proj allows for conversion of variants of DMS to and form radians as
well as binary radian I/O.

I don't object to the simple filter function of adjusting longitude but I
do strongly object to the statement that any part of the PROJ.4 system
has any knowledge of a "Prime Meridian."  It does seem strange
to me that someone would use the Paris meridian and then crank
geographic coodinates thru the system that were *not* in the Paris
meridian system.  If everything is relative to the Paris meridian one
would use proj in a maner identical to, say, US usage.  That is, the
French live in a different world than the English, but proj functions
without change in both worlds (except for lack of French language
manuals ;-) ).