[OSRS-PROJ] Older Stateplane Definitions

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 30 08:42:39 EDT 2002

Clifford J Mugnier wrote:
> Why is the new word, "Gradians" being used?  I've been doing this stuff for
> 40+ years, and I have always seen and used only "Grads." My English
> unabridged dictionary lists grad or grade.  My French dictionary lists
> grade.
>
> It is Radians and Grads or Grades.  NOT Gradians.

Clifford,

I don't know what is "right" or "wrong" but gradian is list in the wolfram
web site, and the Handbook of Mathematics and Computational Science (Harris and
Stocker, 1998) is given as the reference.

   http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Gradian.html

A google search seems to show a fair amount of use for the term gradian in
current geodesy usage.