[OSRS-PROJ] Donald Elliptic Projection for AT&T V&H Coordinates?

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Wed Nov 27 11:33:40 EST 2002

Folks -

I have a user request to be able to select locations based on the V & H coordinate system used in North American telephone tariff calculations.  I had never heard of this before - after a bit of research, I found (a) several pretty pictures of North America with a grid overlay on it, (b) references to the "Donald Elliptic Projection" used as developed by a fellow named Donald at Bell Labs in 1957, (c) a CD-ROM I can purchase with Excel spreadsheet formulas for lat/lon conversion, and (d) a $495 book from Telcordia titled "Telcordia(tm) Notes on V&H Coordinates: The Mystery Unveiled".

What I'd much prefer is a PROJ definition for this projection <g>.  If anyone can point me to the projection definition, or to conversion formulas, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.