[OSRS-PROJ] Re: Krovak / PROJ4 (+axis option?)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 30 11:26:48 EDT 2003

Radim Blazek wrote:
> Just a note, I think that 'top' usually is not precisely 'north' and
> sometimes may be very different azimuth, so it may be confusing.
> I would prefer 'left', 'right', 'top', 'bottom'.

Radim,

The left, right, top and bottom are the X and Y axes, but to relate these
to world coordinates we need something else.  I use north, south, east and
west because that is the way of labelling the directions in all projections
familiar to me, even when the "northing" isn't exactly due north.  So, no
I won't talk about left, right, top and bottom in the +axis.  I would note
that my terminology for axis labelling is also based on the OpenGIS model
for describing axes, which I hesitate to diverge from.

As for incorporating the +axis it is some ways out.  It is likely you will
need to make PROJ.4 patches available to users that want to use your (or
Geralds) Krovak module as I don't intend to release (another) intermediate
solution.  With all respect to the Czech nation, I don't feel the projection
is widely used enough to cause alot of people problems.