[OSRS-PROJ] Lambert Conformal Conic 1SP

Gerald I. Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Mon Feb 10 10:42:57 EST 2003

Correct me if I am wrong but the definition of the Costa Rica
Norte projection is (in proj terms):

<costa-n> # Costa Rica Norte
        proj=lcc ellps=clrk66 lat_1=10d28N lon_0=84d20W
        x_0=500000 y_0=217820.522 k_0=0.99995696
        no_defs <>

This shows tangential specification with scale factor.

What you seem to be confusing is that a non-unity scale factor
does, in essence, turn a tangential spec into a secant form but
I find that specious when the other basic elements of the
projection ONLY specify the base of tangency.

As and aside, what if the user specifies a scale factor
greater than one?  Then we have neither tangency nor secancy. ;-)

In my book: LLC with one parallel: tangent form, LLC with two
parallels secant form.

A minor point, a LLC with two parallels can be turned into the
tangent equivalence with a appropriate scale factor greater than
unity.  This is why it is nonsense to use the terms tangency/
secancy in any other sense other than whether one or two latitudes
are specified.  The cartographer doesn't give a damn as he will
adjust the scale factor or double parallels to give the best fit
to his zone of interest.

Any, we are just squabbling over semantics.