[OSRS-PROJ] Re: Lambert Conformal Conic 1SP

Gerald I. Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Mon Feb 10 11:03:27 EST 2003

251 is a useful book and a dog-eared copy sit on my shelf.

I also found a suspicious coefficient for the expression for
x in Tmerc on page 96.  For eqn 289, and the first row of
the expression for the lamda^7 term, the 6th term reads
"3,262".  I believe the value should be "3,298".

This was found when comparing extended precision Gauss
quadrature integrations, Thomas's expanded coefficients and
various "standard" versions of Tmerc.

What was a very interesting part of this endeavor is that
numerical integration allowed me to empirically determine
the correct 4 digit number that, when used in the evaluation,
the comparison was exact to 15 digits.  Just changing the
"8" up or down 1 would significantly alter the comparison.

There was no way I would carry out a re-derivation!  Thomas
was a masochist.