[OSRS-PROJ] Horrors of --- Krovak projection

Gerald I. Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Mon Feb 24 13:46:33 EST 2003

I am just about to put this projection to bed but I must say that
it has taught me an important lesson than is worth passing on.

MORAL: do not post math formulas in html format.

Rank this as the 11th commandment although I feel is is more
important than some of the traditional 10.

The only suitable means that I know of at the moment is the pdf
format used in conjunction with a decent math formatter such as
TeX or LaTeX.  All this material is available for most OSs that
I am aware of and free in most cases.

The Remotesensing group should redo pages like

http:/www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/proj_list/guid7.html

to not include the contents of Guidance Note 7 directly but to
point to the pdf file.  By the time browsers, written by those
who wouldn't know an integral or partial differential from a
hole in the ground, get done displaying the formularies on
the screen one has a mess.  It is even worse with printed
results.

Enough of the "Mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore"
stuff:

I will shortly update my personal web site to include a directory
of PROJ.4 miscellany.  It will include a pdf of the Krovak
projection description as well as PJ_kocc.c --- all
suitable for framing as well as a README on how to install it
on PROJ.4 systems that are reasonably compatible with the old kai
distribution.

Have a nice day.  :-)