[OSRS-PROJ] Pseudo X/Y values, forward and reverse

Gerald I. Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Fri Jan 31 20:27:48 EST 2003

The most suitable solution to your problem is finding the proper
projection for you application rather than trying to bend existing
systems that are not suitable.  If your lines are parallel to parallels
then Lambert Conformal Conic would be suitable, and in NS then
TM would work well.  But it sounds like they are probably oblique
and thus Oblique Mercator would be the best projection.

This assumes that a conformal projection is most suitable for
your needs.  In the case of OM you need to determine the best
geodesic that fits your line and use this for the OM factors.
Scale error will be at a minimum all along your seismic line.

As others have pointed out, appropriate selection of projection to
fit the needs of a project is a most important decision and one
should not be overly influenced by exiting projections that have
entirely different requirements.