[OSRS-PROJ] Weirdnesses in the source code

William Hersman Willy.Hersman at conocophillips.com
Tue Jul 8 12:24:56 EDT 2003

A Perl module for Proj4 would be very useful.  If you ever release it, let
me know.

====================================
Willy Hersman
Technical Information Services
ConocoPhillips Alaska, Inc.
Email: willy.hersman at conocophillips.com

                    "Judd Taylor" <judd at seas.marine.usf.edu>
                    Sent by: owner-osrs-proj at remotesensing.org

                    07/08/2003 07:59 AM
                    Any replies will be addressed to: osrs-proj

                     To:   <osrs-proj at remotesensing.org>
                     cc:
                     Subject:    Re: [OSRS-PROJ] Weirdnesses in the source code

Perl, eh?

I've got a pretty stable version that uses PDL::PP I've been meaning to
release out to CPAN. It works reall well and is real fast... I just need to
add a function to query the actual values that Proj is using (after
defaults, files, etc have been applied to the command line options) so I
can
put in out output product metadata, but the guts are all there.

got PDL?

Running it through PDL::PP is many many many many times faster than using
any perl-level interfaces (PDL::PP generates PerlXS interfaces to the c
libraries), so if you don't have PDL, you probably should.

Here's a perl usage example (from my test script):

use strict;
use PDL;
use PDL::Transforms::Cartography::Proj4;

print "Testing forward transformation...\n";
my $proj = "+proj=merc +ellps=WGS72 +lon_0=80.25w +lat_0=30n";
print "Perl level params: \'$proj\'\n";

my $lon = double [-90.0, -95.0, -86.0];
my $lat = double [  0.0,  33.0,  77.0];

my ($x, $y) = fwd_transform($lon, $lat, $proj);
print "Inputs:\n\t\$lon = $lon\n\t\$lat = $lat\n";
print "Result:\n\t\$x = $x\n\t\$y = $y\n";

Let me know if you're interested and I'll tar it up and get it off to you--
hopefully it will save you some time.

Judd Taylor
Systems Engineer
Institute for Marine Remote Sensing