[OSRS-PROJ] Weirdnesses in the source code

Gerald I. Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Sat Jul 19 13:39:39 EDT 2003

First of all, can we change the name of this thread.  "Weirdnesses"
is not that meaningful.

One problem with projection parameters is that several projections
have different means of expressing their control  For example,
Lam. Conformal Conic can use two parallels or one parallel and
a scale factor.

Another item is that many control factors are not explicitly
mentioned in the -lP line because they are common to all projections.
For example, ellipsoid/sphere parameters, false easting/northing, ... .

Earlier versions attempted to address this problem with the
ancillary files that contained definitions for default
parameters but was later dropped.

What I see here is the never ending debate as to how much documentation
should be placed in the library itself.  What is in there now is
minimal and what I believe is appropriate for the current library.
To add more detail and user assistance then a complex addenda
is added that would have to be tailored to various
GUI systems.  I do not feel that is part of the basic library that
tries to restrict itself to merely doing the numbers.

The -lP option is only a quick reminder to the knowledgeable user
about the parameters required and *not* an instructional tool.
To add a meaningful interface for the novice user would require
software orders of magnitude more complex than the current libproj
library.

--
Gerald I. Evenden <gerald.evenden at verizon.net>