[OSRS-PROJ] Re: [GRASS5] adding a new datum/projection?

Cliff Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Wed Jul 23 10:19:58 EDT 2003

In regard to New Zealand, I have not researched their implementation in
detail, but from the little that I know; the ITRF is probably NOT the
way to go for "datum shifts" in New Zealand.  The original datum was not
recognized or utilized throughout both North Island and South Island,
and local property was referenced to local "meridional circuits" that
were perimeter surveys forming local coordinate systems and cast on
individual aphylactic Cassini-Soldner Grids.  Each county was an
"island" unto itself.  Topographic mapping at inch to the mile was on
the NZ Transverse Mercator before WWII, and the system remained that way
for decades.

They had a datum readjustment (I think) in the 70s and Lee came up with
the "NZ Map Grid" that covered both islands.

I do know that they have supposedly dropped Lee's projection for both
islands and may have gone back to Transverse Mercator.  However, NZ2000
Datum is actually changing monthly if not daily because of the enormous
speed the islands are moving towards Hawaii.  (I think maybe a
centimeter a week, not sure!)

Anyway, GIS coordinates need to be "islands" unto themselves (like the
old "meridional circuits"), and I don't think that geodetic "solutions"
are appropriate in this case.  I believe that the subject is so complex
for New Zealand, that the transformation from the ITRF_XX to a local
reference frame should be done by geodesists and maybe Land Surveyors,
but certainly not implemented into GIS software.

I may be incorrect in my assessment, but at present I believe that
"PROJ" should certainly NOT implement the current geodetic system (in an
international sense of the ITRF_XX) for New Zealand.  Leave it to the
geodesists for now.

Clifford J. Mugnier (cjmce at LSU.edu)
Chief of Geodesy and
Associate Director