[OSRS-PROJ] Re: Transverse Mercator revisited

Strebe at aol.com Strebe at aol.com
Tue Oct 14 01:45:42 EDT 2003

I don't know anything about ESRI's implementation. Wallis claims Dozier's
implementation is inefficient and the derivation not well motivated. I haven't
looked at Dozier. I had never checked my own implementation against UTM because
I don't much care about large-scale mapping, but your note induced me to. I
find that my calculations of the complete ellipsoidal transverse Mercator agree
with Snyder's UTM formulation [Snyder: Map Projections - A Working Manual] to
sub-millimeter accuracy from +/-90.0 degrees latitude and +/- 3.5 degrees
longitude from central meridian, at half degree intervals. Of course, it extends
to 90 degrees away from the central meridian, and numerical checks demonstrate
that it is conformal to within one part per billion throughout the spheroid.

Regards,
daan Strebe