[OSRS-PROJ] Quadrilatieralized Spherical Cube projection

Dan Stahlke dstahlke at gi.alaska.edu
Fri Apr 2 00:32:38 EST 2004

I need to efficiently (with low distortion) divide the globe into
square tiles in order to store global images.  I am currently using a
modified gnomonic projection onto a cube.  The projection I am
currently using is an arctangent of the gnomonic projection (which
could also be visualized as two cylindrical projections, one for each
axis).  I am using a modified version of GCTP for this, but Proj.4
looks a lot better.  There doesn't seem to be any existing projection
similar to what I am using, but in the course of my research I found
out about the Quadrilatieralized Spherical Cube projection, which
sounds a lot better.

This projection is used by the COBE project to store images of the sky.
It is a projection of the sphere onto a cube and is supposed to have
distortion of less than 1%.

It looks like the Quadrilatieralized Spherical Cube projection doesn't
currently exist in Proj.4, but if needed I am willing to add it.  My
question is: does this projection already exist under a different name,
or is there something else that can be used?  If I add this projection,
could it be included with the main distribution?