[Proj] Geocentric vs. Geodetic latitude

Gerald Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Wed Apr 28 10:26:45 EDT 2004

I believe the code for conversion is in proj.  There is a little used
option
for geocentric lat/lon as I recall.  Obviously, geocentric only applies
the latitude coordinate.

Normal latitude is the angle of the surface tangent to the ellipsoid
and thus
the normal to that plane from the tangent point does not penetrate the
earth's center except at the equator and pole.  Geocentric latitude is
from
the center to the reference point.

Curiously, I had never seen any data with geocentric latitude.

The equation is rather trivial as I recall.