[Proj] Re: Proj Digest, Vol 3, Issue 4

Melita Kennedy mkennedy at pe.net
Thu Aug 19 02:04:09 EDT 2004

Dylan,

I can explain why the origin point doesn't give the expected values.
Michigan GeoRef (and State Plane's Alaska zone 1) use what ESRI
calls Oblique Mercator Natural Origin. The xy 0,0 location is where
the central line crosses the aposphere's equator rather than the
intersection of the longitude and latitude of center. The origin is
usually quite close to the ellipsoid's equator. That's why the false
easting and northing values are so large.

Melita

--
Melita Kennedy
mkennedy at pe.net