[Proj] best projection for europe

Markus Schaber schaber at logi-track.com
Tue Dec 14 12:36:25 EST 2004

Hello,

I'm in the need for a good projection for displaying maps of (parts of)
europe. We have all our data in WGS84 long/lat format in the database.
Is there any projection that you can advise from your experience to use
for the whole europe?

Currently, we simply use long/lat as karthesian coordinates with some
shortening on the y axis, which is acceptable for southern and middle
europe, but gets weird in northern europe.

Usually, one would use the well known UTM or Gauss-Krüger projections
from the EPSG database for europe, but both divide the data into zones.
This has two drawbacks. First, handling zones adds complexity to the
code that I would prefer to avoid in the first releases. Second, when we
"zoom out" to display the whole europe (from spain to slovakia, from
italy to scandinavia), it is difficult to "glue" the zones together.

If anyone has made some good experiences with a specific projection, I'd
be happy to hear about it.

Thanks a lot,
Markus

--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zuerich