[Proj] The Michigan Georef Projection Problem

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Fri Dec 17 16:09:44 EST 2004

If memory serves me correctly, the Michigan Georef projection is just a
Hotine RSO with a differently-scaled ellipsoid to compensate for the
average elevation of the state.  To convert between that and standard State
Plane, you'd have to go through an ellipsoid change first.

Clifford J. Mugnier
Chief of Geodesy and
Associate Director,
CENTER FOR GEOINFORMATICS
Department of Civil Engineering
CEBA 3223A
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
Baton Rouge, LA  70803
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-8536 [Academic]
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-4474 [Research]
http://www.asprs.org/resources/GRIDS/
http://www.cee.lsu.edu/facultyStaff/mugnier/index.html

Hello,

I have run into problems with the Michigan Georef projection and I think I
have read all the threads on it, which did not end up coming up with a
solution.  Have there been any fixes for this projection?  If not, then I
might need to work on Proj, which is a bit scary, but I still have the code
of a VB program I wrote that performs the transformation for michigan
georef to state plane and vice versa.  But, before I delve into Proj's
code, I just wanted to check on this listing if anybody has solved the
problem.

Until then, I will hope for the best.
Happy Holidays