[OSRS-PROJ] Geocentric systems and ellipsoids

Gerald Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Wed Jan 14 09:43:09 EST 2004

PROJ's derived its name from "projection," that operation relating a
point
on a sphere or ellipsoid to a two dimensional, cartesian system.  What
seems to
be discussed below is the transformation between three dimensional
systems and thus has no relation to the projection operation
in the original and definition of PROJ's operation.

Sorry, this mixing of apples and oranges within the OSRS distribution
of PROJ has always been a sore point with me.  It is also the
prime bottleneck in updating OSRS PROJ with the expanded libproj4
material---the later stays within the initial boundaries.

Alas.