[OSRS-PROJ] Bug in CEA projection?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jan 28 11:34:55 EST 2004

David Orme wrote:
> That's odd - I've just recently compiled proj4 from source but I still
> get the wrong answer.
>
>> doibook:~ dorme$ proj +proj=cea +ellps=WGS84 +lat_ts=30 -I -f '%.6f'<<EOF
>> > 0 7284713.234
>> > EOF
>> 0.000000        82.485563
>> doibook:~ dorme$ proj
>> Rel. 4.4.7, 31 March 2003
>> usage: proj [ -beEfiIlormsStTvVwW [args] ] [ +opts[=arg] ] [ files ]
>> doibook:~ dorme$
>

> The linker details from the dynamic library are:
>
>> doibook:~ dorme$ otool -L /usr/local/lib/libproj.dylib
>> /usr/local/lib/libproj.dylib:
>>         /usr/local/lib/libproj.0.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0,
>> current version 5.1.0)
>>         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
>> current version 71.0.0)
>

> Am I using an outdated version?

David,

Gerald is working on a cleaned up "next generation" PROJ core which he calls
libproj4.  He is doing all his new projections and other improvements there.
However, he has purposefully removed non-projections related "cruft".  I
would suggest you download his libproj4 from his web site and verify that
you get the right results with it.  If so, please file a bug report in the
PROJ bugzilla and I will migrate his code into the more widely used PROJ.4
package.

   http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2hc4d/proj4/

Eventually I will refactor PROJ.4 to use Gerald's libproj4 for the projections,
and just provide all the other services (named coordiante system lookup,
datum shifting, meridians, etc) as a set of layered code.  However, that is
a substantial effort so in the meantime I just migrating critical improvements
from Geralds code base into the older PROJ.4 code base.

Actually, I would encourage you to file a bug report even if you can't get
the right results with Geralds code.  But for me, the ideal bug report is
one that comes with a solution.  Especially when it is stuff like projections
internals where I am out of my depth.