[Proj] old german topo

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sat Jul 24 05:56:07 EDT 2004

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, Maciek Sieczka wrote:

[...]
> As to the datums I tried 3 different ones and I'm not sure which one is
> really suitable here. I believe I had a best result with the first of the
> mentioned below. Though the reprojection result was very similar in each
> case (max 1-2 m difference) I would like to know which one is right if
> somebody can tell me.

None of them are "right"; they are all only approximations to the shift
between the two datums. Number 1 is for central West Germany, number 2 for
southern west Germany, and number 3 seems to be general for the whole area
the potsdam datum is used in. However there is also a more accurate
7-parameter transformation for all of Germany on the CRS website (and also
in GRASS).
So it all depends on which part of Germany your map covers, and e.g. if it
is not in an area that any of the widely available transformations covers
(e.g. former part of Germany that is now in Poland?) then for maximum
accuracy you would have to derive your own transformation using locations
of churches as was suggested. But I wouldn't know how to do that...