[Proj] Incorrect translations to the Gauss-Boaga system

Gino Lucrezi gino at lucrezi.net
Sun Jun 20 06:15:06 EDT 2004

On 19 Jun 2004 at 11:29, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> It seems that there is no datum shifting information available for either
> coordinate system.  The Guass Boaga is using the Monte Mario datum while
> the UTM coordinate system is using ED50.

What kind of information would be needed?

> I *think* the ED50 is relatively close to WGS84, but you may need to find
> some approximation for the datum shift needed for ED50.  You might even be
> able to derive a reasonable approximation from your observed errors.

I have a good approximation, the error is about 200 metres for all of the
area I am interested in. However I don't know how to use it. There is no
way to "add" a constant to every point in a PostGIS database, AFAIK :-(

> PS. The proj mailing list isn't really working yet.  You and I are
> currently the only subscribes.  Hopefully by late monday it will be back
> fully populated.

Do you think it could be useful if I re-posted it monday?

Gino Lucrezi
Penta Consulting Services Srl