[OSRS-PROJ] Roussilhe Oblique Stereographic

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Wed Mar 10 18:53:35 EST 2004

Sent by: Duncan Agnew <agnew at jacinto.ucsd.edu>
Please respond to dagnew at ucsd.edu
To: cjmce at lsu.edu, gerald.evenden at verizon.net
cc: agnew at jacinto.ucsd.edu
Subject: Roussilhe references
I have not been successful in posting this to the PROJ list; either of you
may
if you like.

I would be willing to send you a Xerox of (the relevant bits of) Roussilhe
and
of Letoval'tsev to Gerald if you want to add this projection to your code.
Consider it
in return for the usefulness of PROJ.

Duncan Agnew
dagnew at ucsd.edu

---------------
I am 2 minutes from a library with the Annales Hydrographiques. I first
looked up the reference given in Snyder & Steward's bibliography:

1974a. Roussilhe, Henri, 1922, Emploi des coordonnées rectangulaires
stéréographiques pour le calcul de la triangulation dans un rayon de 560
kilomètres autour de l'origine: International Union of Geodesy and
Geophysics, Section of Geodesy, Travaux, May, v. 1. [Roussilhe
stereographic projection of the ellipsoid.]

This references only papers by Courtier in the Annales for 1907 and 1912;
I did find these, but there do not seem to be any projection papers by
Roussilhe between 1897 and 1922 (the period I scanned), though the
projection
may be buried in his reports on the survey of Madagascar. The Courtier
papers
appear to be rather general discussions of the use of rectangular
coordinates,
derived for a variety of projections. Roussilhe's 1922 paper proposes a
particular
stereographic good to high accuracy over largish areas, ending with a set
of
proposed radial "zones" for all of Europe.

Snyder and Steward also reference

1442. Letoval'tsev, I.G., 1968, O proyektsii Russilya: Izvestiya Vysshikh
Uchebnykh Zavedeniy. Geodeziya i Aerofotos'emka, no. 2, p. 51-55.
[Russian. Translated to English as The Roussilhe projection: Geodesy and
Aerophotography, 1968, no. 2, p. 92-94. A stereographic projection of
the ellipsoid. See correction by Morozov, V.P., 1968: Izvestiya Vysshikh
Uchebnykh Zavedeniy. Geodeziya i Aerofotos'emka, no. 6, p. 142,
translated to English in Geodesy and Aerophotography, 1968, no. 6, p. 418.]

which I have also looked at; this references Roussilhe's textbook of
1922--this
I have not seen.

Duncan Agnew
dagnew at ucsd.edu

Obscurity is a matter of perception.  Because I cannot walk down to my
local
library and find the reference or expect them to come up with a copy in
two
weeks, then it is obscure in my books.  I suspect I would have trouble
getting
a copy of the work in Boston.  As a minor side issue, I would rather
deal with
an article in French rather than Polish (no offense to the Poles,
please).  It is
just that the language has no superficial resemblance to the germanic
or latin
based languages I am used to.  Reminds me of the Chinese article I
tried to
work with.

For printed references readily available there is: 1) Bugayevskiy,
Snyder p. 169,
and two versions in 2) Yang, Snyder and Tobler pp. 19--21,  3)pp
166-168.
1 and 2 my be similar but 3 is based on a transfer through Gauss-Kruger.
Interestingly, the Polish web paper I picked up gave a version that
looks
similar to 3.  With the Polish paper I think I could do a complete
version
(forward-inverse).  The book sources mostly ignore inverse projections.

Lastly, we still do not have a concrete bibliographic reference to
Roussilhe's original work---I can't take " It is published in the open
"Annals
Hydrographique" journals of the early 1900s." to my reference desk and
expect anything but a blank look.