[OSRS-PROJ] Roussilhe Oblique Stereographic

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Mar 12 06:21:05 EST 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 11:25:11PM +0100, werchowyna at pf.pl wrote:
[...]
> When I try to use the "stere" projection in my Grass 5.0.3 it asks for the
[...]
> > But even if I get a successful process on libproj4, how does this help
> > you with your GRASS effort?
>
> > GRASS used PROJ a long time ago but I lost contact somewhat before
> > CERL stopped support.

A clarification:

GRASS whatever uses PROJ (not libproj4 from G. Evenden) by
default, in details:

- GRASS 4.x + 5.0 use the old PROJ4 from USGS (included in source code)
- GRASS 5.3/5.7 use the (fresh) external PROJ4 from remotesensing.org
  by default, but can be compiled to use the old PROJ4 from USGS
  (as still included in source code)

GRASS was changed to use the external PROJ4 from remotesensing.org to
utilize the datum transformation routines and the latest fixes.

[...]
> installed on my Mandrake 9.2 with Grass 5.03:
> NAME:         libproj0
> VERSION:      4.4.7
[...]
Mandrake provides PROJ4 from remotesensing.org.

Our hope is that in future PROJ4 from remotesensing.org will be based on
the updated libproj4 from G. Evenden + include the datum transformation
routines.

It might be possible to compile GRASS 5.3/5.7 against libproj4 from
G. Evenden (since the API is similar), but AFAIK you will then miss
the datum transformation routines.

Hope this helps

 Markus