[Proj] proj JNI wrapping

Andrea Antonello moovida at katamail.com
Wed Oct 13 11:02:24 EDT 2004

Hy Martin, thanks for your reply.

> I've done this with proj and gdal.  JNI works really well.

The first question, which I guess you expect, is: is the work you have already
done available? How come it is not officially known?

> The only
> concern you will have is thread safety, but that is easily solved on the
> java side by synchronizing your jni wrappers.

Why that? I would use it for certain queries, transformations and imports,
which will way for the data to come back. Could you please explain me?

> I wouldn't try to do a
> one for one mapping of functions and classes between java and gdal/proj.
> Instead I would build a couple of jni classes that call a c++ class that
> does a specific operation with gdal/proj.  If you try to use the

Yeah, that is a good idea, I'm in a study phase, do you have any concrete
advise?

> gdal/proj c/c++ functions/objects directly in your java code it will get
> ugly because all of the state management that needs to occur.  In other
> words, use the JNI bridge sparingly.

Yeah, I know, I've done some JNI, and got only lots of troubles... even if it
workes well...

Let me know,
thanks
Andrea

> Martin

HydroloGIS - Environmental Open Source Solutions
www.hydrologis.com

Andrea Antonello
Environmental Engineer
mobile:  +393288497722

"Let it be as much a great honour to take as to give learning,
if you want to be called wise."
Skuggsja' - The King's mirror - 1240 Reykjavik