[Proj] Projecting a rectangle to another coord. system?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Sep 13 07:14:58 EDT 2004

Mikael Rittri wrote:

> Although I agree that data stored in a polar projection should not
> be viewed in a cylindrical one, I think that one may have geodata
> stored in longitude/latitude, which should be viewed in a polar
> projection.

That case works OK. Projecting a lat/lon rectangle to a polar
projection produces a ring segment (like a letter "C") around the
pole, and the bounding box of the projected border will bound the
projected interior points.

It's the reverse case which doesn't work. If you project a rectangle
which encloses the pole, the north and south edges of the bounding box
will be determined by the min/max latitudes of the border points; the
projection of the pole will lie above or below the bounding box of the
projected border.