[Proj] Help translating NAD83 coordinates to WGS84

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Mon Sep 20 11:54:05 EDT 2004

Mike -

In North America, NAD83 and WGS84 coordinates are so extremely similar that no conversion is necessary or appropriate in most cases.  Unless your data is acquired with a precision of millimeters (literally) you can treat the two datums as identical.  Most applications do that.  If your coordinates come from TIGER/Line data, you are already dealing with errors several orders of magnitude larger than the datum shift.  Ignore it and treat the two as identical.

The cs2cs command line you posted below converts from NAD83 to NAD83, and therefore no change should be expected.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.