[Proj] Help translating NAD83 coordinates to WGS84

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Mon Sep 20 12:31:33 EDT 2004

If, in fact one datum is NAD27 instead of NAD83, then there is a
substantial change to WGS84 (or to NAD83).  If you are seeing a difference
in position of over 100 feet, that is probably the problem.  The original
TIGER files were digitized from USGS Topographic maps on the NAD27.

If so, it sounds like pretty ancient data to me.

Clifford J. Mugnier
Chief of Geodesy
CENTER FOR GEOINFORMATICS
Department of Civil Engineering
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
Baton Rouge, LA  70803
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-8536 [Academic]
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-4474 [Research]
================================
http://www.ASPRS.org/resources.html
http://www.ce.LSU.edu/~mugnier/
================================

Mike -

Yes, absolutely - I would certainly expect Microsoft to be using geocoding
data from a private vendor, not TIGER.  If the differences were only based
on the datum, you couldn't possibly notice them.

- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.