[Proj] New Member - Question

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Fri Apr 1 16:13:20 EST 2005

Robert,

That's some question!

Check your email account.

Cliff Mugnier
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY

--------------------------------------

Hello, I'm a new member to the list. My name is Robert McFaul and
I work for a geologic modeling software company.

Got a question for you all regarding datums and surveys and the
earth-centered ellipsoids. Does a given point on the ground have
the same latlong value for all surveys using the same earth-centered
ellipsoid (GRS80, WGS84 etc.) regardless of the projection system used?

In the past a surveyor would 'pin' the ellipsoid to the earth
at a position of their choice creating their datum. Another surveyor
collecting the very same locations might use the same ellipsoid and
projection system but the ellipsoid is 'pinned' to another location
thus changing the latlong (and projection system) values of its survey
points. These changes might be very slight or could be quite different
(hundreds of feet or meters difference).

Am I correct in thinking that the earth-centered ellipsoids remove this
variation in datums?

Hope this is clear. If I've confused you a little email me and I'll
finish the job:-)

Thanks.

robertm.
robert at dgi.com