[Proj] Extent of mercator

Gerald I. Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Tue Aug 9 17:47:03 EDT 2005

When you run out of paper.  Sorry, I couldn't resist that.

The UTM limits are somewhat artificial as the projection is not
unbounded.  The reason is
mainly due to the series expansion of the longitude term and
deteriorating accuracy
away from the CM
and thus the narrowing range of a viable projection at the polar
latitudes.

Seems like +-80 is a typical cutoff for Mercator.

But there ought to be a law against using Mercator for global maps
anyway other than
to demonstrate its poor qualities for such usage.

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 18:35 +0200, Stefan Biegger wrote:

> Hi everybody
>
> does somebody knows if there's a well defined limit of the extent when using
> the mercator projection? For UTM, there's something like 'Latitude from 84S
> to 80N'
>
> Thanks a lot
> Stefan

Jerry and the Low Riders: Daisy Mae and Joshua
"The most certain test by which we judge whether a country is
really free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities"
---Lord Acton, 1907