[Proj] Proj binary input and output

Gerald I. Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Fri Aug 19 21:33:48 EDT 2005

One point I didn't think of on the first email: is your binary data in
radians???
proj/lproj does not do deg-to-radian conversion with binary data.

Otherwise, your following usage looks OK.

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 14:55 -0700, pw wrote:

> My test file is a double precision binary file with
> lonlatlonlat...(113000 times)
>
> /*binary file -> [proj] -> binary -> [invproj] -> text*/
>
> proj +proj=utm +zone=17 +ellps=WGS84 -b binary_file.bin |  \
> proj -I -i +proj=utm +zone=17 +ellps=WGS84
>
> OR:
>
> /*binary to text*/
> proj +proj=utm +zone=17 +ellps=WGS84 -i binary_file.bin
>
> Both of these give me poor output under MS Windows.
> I haven't tried this under linux yet. That would tell me
> if the problem is with my VC 5 build under MS windows, although
> the default struct alignment/packing is 8 bytes which should
> be totally copacetic with the struct UV anyway since doubles are
> 8 bytes.
>
> I was curious as to whether binary files were currently
> supported (tested?) since this is treated in only a passing
> manner in the docs.
>
> If my command line is correct above, then my build must be wrong.
> I will check my linux build to see if it responds in the same
> manner.

Jerry and the Low Riders: Daisy Mae and Joshua
"The most certain test by which we judge whether a country is
really free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities"
---Lord Acton, 1907