[Proj] Finnish KKJ in proj 4.4.9 - Linux vs. Windows

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Dec 14 10:11:38 EST 2005

On 12/14/05, Roger Oberholtzer <roger at opq.se> wrote:
> I have sorted out using proj 4.4.9 to obtain KKJ X/Y values from WGS84
> LAT/LONG values.
>
> To be more precise, I have this sorted out on Linux. I compiled the same
> 4.4.9 code on Windows using MS VC++ 6.0 and the makefile.vc in the proj
> source. The problem is that I do not get the same results on the two
> systems! The error is in the neighborhood of 100 meters.
> Has anyone used proj on Windows and had any such problem? I have used
> other similar libraries on both platforms before, so I did not expect
> this.

Roger,

I haven't run into this.  If you can demonstrate the results you get on
linux and win32 using the "proj" or "cs2cs" commands, then I could
try and see if I get the same problem here on win32.

> I was thinking of trying the 4.4.6 binary that is available for
> downloads, but it does not contain a proj.lib file, making linking
> problematic. Any reason there is not a windows binary of 4.4.9, and only
> of 4.4.6?

Producing binaries is a hassle, and so I do not make it part of
my release regimen.  The FWTools releases do include up to date
PROJ.4 binaries though I'm not sure if I include the PROJ.4 include
files and libraries for those wanting to build their own applications.

  http://fwtools.maptools.org/

You might want to see if you get the same results with the FWTools
PROJ commands as you get from the ones you built yourself.