[Proj] website cartographic executables---a query

Gerald I. Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Sat Dec 17 16:00:51 EST 2005

On Saturday 17 December 2005 02:46 pm, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Gerald,
>
> A PROJ.4 based web based coordinate system transformer is implemented
> according to an earlier version of the WCTS protocol at:
>   http://maps.gdal.org/wcts/
>
> Check out the "HTML Form" link for the interactive form, though it is
> very EPSG oriented in terms of selecting coordinate systems.

Konqueror had problems with several of the pages for "HTML Form".
Firefox did a little better as did Safari.  I have not tried M$ yet.

At the moment, I am trying to stay with the most elemental of HTML
forms and php4.

> > I would appreciate any comments on the usefulness of the above ideas
> > and the feasibility of implementation.  Also, any recommendations
> > on website hosts would be appreciated.
>
> The OGR WCTS server is built around an OGC protocol, and
> ultimately the HTML interface to this lacks some usability.  I
> have encountered a few other web projections interfaces over
> the years, though I can't point to any of them just now.

At the moment I am trying to minimize the alphabet soup as
it is a bit over my head.  Bad enough getting used to working with
sessions, et al..  :-)  PHP is easy enough as it is a pretty close clone
of C,  The benchmark browser is Konqueror and if it can handle it,
any other browser should consider it a breeze.

> I think it would be nice, and not particularly hard, to build an
> HTML inteface to "lproj" or similar services, using the PROJ.4
> syntax for coordinate systems.
>
> If you want, I would be happy to provide an account for this
> purpose on www.gdal.org.

Let me get a sampler with the geodesic procedure going.  We could
see about putting this simple project up as a test case.  No C binaries
required for it.  Right now my head is going in circles managing this
loop of pages.  As I imagine it now, it consists of a form page with
all the entries (freely editable) and a radio selection: forward, inverse,
reset, etc.. I have an airport file that I would also like to be able to query
to set the pt. A or pt. B coordinates.  Similarly for ellipsoid and distance
units.  Nearly every operation loops back to the main page with an
updated form.  Cosmetics and css come later. ;-)

The geodesic is a learning project.

--
Jerry and the low riders:Daisy May and Joshua
"The being cannot be termed rational or virtuous,