[Proj] OT: Geotrans's Neys Projection - Modified Lambert ConformalConic

Eric Miller EMiller at dfg.ca.gov
Mon Dec 19 19:02:44 EST 2005

Not to make this a C# and Geotrans list, but it might be a little less work to just implement "Platform Invoke" functions for those functions and data types defined in engine.h.  Then your code just loads the geotrans2.dll and calls its functions as if they were native to C# (more or less).  You have to figure out a few things like calling convention (cdecl vs. stdcall) and how to send fixed length string buffers (hint: StringBuilder).  Most pointers to simple types can be handled with "ref" or "out" modifiers and pointers to opaque types are handled with the "IntPtr" type (C#'s answer to void pointers).

To bring it back to PROJ.4, you can refer to my C# wrapper for some idea how to define external functions.  See http://ftp.dfg.ca.gov/outgoing/nafwb/proj4/csharp/
Unlike proj.4, you probably won't need any "unsafe" pointer code constructs for geotrans.

Luck,

>>> paul at toolscenter.org 12/19/2005 3:23:33 PM >>>
Sorry, the C# codes were part of a work I did for my former company.
Off course, I can always do it if there is a need. But the process is simple
and should take you less than 3 days.

Each Geotrans *.h/*.c pair file is an indepedendent projection, so can be
compiled individually with the exception of the (T)Mercator.
Here are the steps: C ---> C++ ---> C#
1. Change the *.c file extension to C++, and add a C++ class
2. The *.c contains static/globals fields, move all as members of the class
3. For quick C# conversion, try to maintain all the codes in the *.h file.
4. Make functions defined in the *.h/*.c files methods of the class.
5. For the C#, make the #defines "const" or "readonly" members
6. Use the Math.* for the maths functions
7. Use exceptions for the error codes. Each *.c contains the actual
   message of the error codes in its comments, so simply copy these as
     throw new YourException("message");
   and return "void" - may be subject to your design.
8. Change the comments to the C# style and add the test sample as part of
   the comment for quick copy and paste testing codes and if you have the
time
   and need, change these for NUnit tests. Some of the codes do not give the
   expected results in the documentations though.

I should have the intermediate/C++ codes somewhere in my PC, since I did
this at home, I could look for it if you need this one.

Best regards,
Paul.