[Proj] libproj4 thread safety

Gerald Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Wed Feb 23 19:35:29 EST 2005

Let me ask the question: given a program that is executing libproj4
library
members only active at only one point in the program?  That are there
are no
parallel processes accessing the same memory other than in the context
of shared libraries?  When a process has called an entry point to
libproj4, then
any use of global variables would be OK as long as their state was
returned
to the same condition at return as their state at entry?

What I am driving at is that pj_errno can be used during execution of
libproj4
but except for the condition at the return of pj_init its value is
meaningless
at the return of any other entry.  Secondly, no other entry to libproj4
library
can be made to libproj4 library entry while another entry is being
processed.

These questions may seem dumb, especially a few years ago, but I'm never
sure that some Star Trek processor is not doing some gee whiz stuff in
hyperspace.
;-)

  In addition, the error status of any projection pointer is preserved
regardless
of how many executions are made with other projection pointers.

If paragraph 2 is allowed then current internal actions regarding
pj_errno can
remain in place and upon pj_fwd/pj_inv return the projection pointer
will be updated
with the contents of pj_errno.  IF NECESSARY, pj_errno can be saved
upon entry
and restored so that the last return code of a pj_init can be
recovered.  I do not
think that this is very important.  If conditions in this paragraph are
not acceptable
then we have a lot of coding to do---or resort to long-jumps.

Lastly: fully functional examples:

A = pj_init();
B = pj_init();

assume A and B not null:

r1=pj_fwd(A,)    // projection fails, contents of r1 HUGE
r2=pj_fwd(B,)    // projection OK, r2 valid
pj_error(A);  // returns negative error code
pj_error(B);  // returns 0 --no error

Another example:
  r1=pj_inv(A,pj_fwd(B,r1)); // perfectly valid

If pj_fwd fails pj_error will return error code for both A and B calls;
        the inverse call will fail because of HUGE input.
If pj_fwd OK but pj_inv fails only A shows error. B OK.

Note that B could be identical to A (eliminating the second pj_init but
we would lose the independence of the error checking.

If the code operates like a forked process except that we are still in
the same
process then all bets are off.  That is, libproj4 rouitines can only
processing
one structure at a time handling pj_errno

It all boils down to what one means by "simultaneous.".  I understand
how
multiple processes can function "simultaneously" and be syncronized by
various means but I do not see how a single process can have multiple
paths of execution --- if that is what we are talking about?

Are we getting anywhere or am I totally out in left field?