[Proj] Re: ECEF

Noel Zinn ndzinn at houston.rr.com
Mon Feb 28 21:07:48 EST 2005

Thanks all for the clarifications and comments this thread has generated.  I
now understand that libproj is cartography only (lat/lon <=>
Northing/Easting), but that the version of proj.4 available at
remotesensing.com has extensions to libproj that include gridded datum
transformation, e.g., NADCON (lat27/lon27 <=> lat83/lon83), and "geocentric"
datum transformations (lat1/lon1/hgt1 <=> lat2/lon2/hgt2) via some
combination of 3 translations, 3 rotations and a scale change about ECEF
Cartesian coordinates (Z being positive north through the spin axis, X
positive in the Equatorial plane through the Greenwich Meridian and Y
positive in the Equatorial plane at 90E).  The cartography is mathematically
defined (in principle without error, though YMMV), but that any datum shift
parameters one might use are empirically derived and spatially variant on
distorted terrestrial datums, hence, lots of error.  That's life.

As an aside, to compute a 3- or 7-parameter datum shift one must compute to
or from the ECEF coordinates of both datums, satellite or terrestrial, via
the process: lat1/lon1/hgt1 => ECEF1 => (datum shift) => ECEF2 =>
lat2/lon2/hgt2, where lats and lons are geodetic lats and lons (not
geocentric) and hgt is normal to the ellipsoid.  So, the ECEF coordinates
are there in the code if datum shifting is being done in the extended proj.4
at remotesensing.com.  My original question was whether they were available
to the user as a deliverable without programming.  I'll have to figure out
whether proj=geocent delivers ECEF when I have an opportunity to use proj.4.
Why are ECEF coordinates useful?  For 3D visualization in appropriate
software (Matlab works for this, though industry has better) without the
distortions that all map projections (3D => 2D) inherently suffer.

Again, thanks for all the helpful comments,
Noel Zinn