[Proj] wrong computation of meridinal distance / pj mlfn.c

Noel Zinn ndzinn at houston.rr.com
Tue Jul 12 22:43:01 EDT 2005

Interesting, Peter.

Don't have a solution for you, but I have duplicated your MuPAD computations
with similar numerical integrations in Matlab.  So, that's cool.  But I've
also dusted off a meridional arc function from an old TM code and duplicated
Proj.4's computation as well.  So, that's cool, too.

So why the difference?  I don't doubt Proj.4 or my TM code.  Too much usage
behind them.  Rather, my intuition suggests that either MuPAD and Matlab are
integrating over a prolate (egg-shaped) ellipsoid (not oblate) or that the
zero latitude is interpreted differently (vertically?).  Don't know why that
would be so, but worth investigating.  Too late tonight, however.

Good luck,
Noel