[Proj] Re: wrong computation of meridinal distance / pj mlfn.c

Strebe at aol.com Strebe at aol.com
Wed Jul 13 03:29:45 EDT 2005

At this very moment I happen to be sitting in the first session of Map
Projections oral presentations at the ICC biannual conference of the International
Cartographic Association, so my attention and resources are a little limited.
However, it seems to me that you are computing the wrong integral. The integral
you give calculates the arc length from the pole to 10 degrees south of it,
not from the equator. That seems quite apparent from the way you set it up. You
need to subtract your result from the complete elliptic integral.

I have checked the proj result with my own completely independent
implementation. The proj result is correct.

Regards,

daan Strebe
Chair, Commission on Map Projections
International Cartographic Association