[Proj] Re: wrong computation of meridinal distance / pj mlfn. c

Noel Zinn ndzinn at houston.rr.com
Wed Jul 13 20:37:59 EDT 2005

Peter,

Here's the solution to your original query: why MuPAD doesn't match Proj.4
for the meridional arc.  (It's been an informative thread in the meantime.)

The answer is that integrating over geocentric latitude is incorrect (as
would be integrating over geodetic latitude).  Given your parametric
formulation below, the integration parameter 't' is defined as follows:

t = atan(b*tan(phi)/a), where phi is geodetic latitude

The geocentric latitude is:

t = atan(b^2*tan(phi)/a^2), somewhat different

For phi = 10 degrees, t = 9.96564260327, which gives me the answer that
matches Proj.4 when your function is numerically integrated in Matlab.

I derived this by differentiating your two parametric equation for dx/dt and
dy/dt and then solved for dy/dx, which is the horizontal to the ellipsoid.
The vertical is the negative inverse of that.  The arc tangent of the
vertical is the angle (t) that we're looking for.

Let me know if you agree.

Regards,
Noel